Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I love my paramedic and medic at Alexandra fire station!
It just so happened that i had the the same ones for both my day and night ambulance runs..

The night run was so boring.. we had only 2 calls in the 1st 2 hours.
The good thing that night was, paramedic W got a pay rise so she treated us 'little boys' macdonald's supper!
yummy chicken foldover with mandarin green tea for me!
so the rest of the night was just slacking, talking cock, watching tv and sleeping!

Day run was much more exciting!
The activaiton siren rang 8 times in all but we could only respond to 5 cos our stupid a121 was cranky that day!
each of the 3 times we rushed into the alfa, it refused to start!
there was not even the cranking sound!
we tried using other powerpoints to charge the alfa, even manually pushing it to different powerpoints to charge, but it was stubborn as hell and we tot it was dead.
Only an hour later, when the contracter comes, it will be able to start up normally and the contracter will give us the 'are you trying to waste my time' look.
And this happened 3 times!!!

The most exciting and most tiring call was a collapse case.
The reason for calling ambulance was 'pt is not feeling well'
I mentioned to my medic A that this is a damn lousy complaint to be calling ambulance leh
and he said that ya, often, when you reach the scene and you see the guy sitting at the void deck talking normally to his friends but complaining to have pains everywhere!
so i was anticipating for a boring case..

when we got to the flat, we saw an elderly man lying on the sofa
he looked really pale and i thought, wah ok he really isn't feeling well..
then i realised he has no pulse and he was not breathing!!!!
my zai paramedic then got into action, calmly setting plug, giving oral airway, while i did cpr..

having just passed bcls, cpr was still fresh in my head..
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5..
1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 10..
and so this continued on the run to the ambulance, in the ambulance and all the way to the hospital!

doing is cpr is tiring, doing cpr in the ambulance is definitely no joke!
i was falling everywhere, trying my best to keep my balance as the driver raced and swerved..
i was really exhausted from all the chest compressions so much so that my sweat was showering the patient..
i had to hold the 02 mask in one hand and do chest compressions with the other, really testing my multi tasking..
finally, patient was not breathing and had PEA thruout even with adrenaline given, so that wasn't too encouraging..

so it was a relief when we finally reached hotel 3!
by then the patient was already asystole... :(
i threw away my gloves, went to wash my hands and tried to catch my breath
"hey you, are you a medical student? now acls guidelines, compressions is it 15-2 or 30-2?
ya come and continue cpr now!"
i was like "what?!!!!"
so i continued with chest compressions while the docs did their protocol of iv adrenaline, iv atropine etc, even tho he was asystole for so long alr..
i think at the end of it all, his xiphoid process and lower part of sternum had alrady sunken in..
what an exciting but sad end to this call :(

so the rest of the day we answered a few more unexciting calls,
talked in the 'mat' style
watched tv, shared prawn crackers, and even entertained visiting paramedics and medics from hk!

In all, I enjoyed my ambulance run!
It's a pity there are only 2 sessions!
After this, i've full admiration for the paramedics and medics..
They showed me how to be professional when the need calls for it, but retaining the fun side when it's time to relax..

i'll miss the activation siren too..
anyone has got the ringtone for it? :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

happy birthday WAAAAAAARH!